Wednesday 14 February 2018

Chickpea hummus scramble

Yesterday I went all domestic goddess and decided I would make a tofu scramble for dinner and a gnocchi bake for the rest of the week.  I had forgotten the tofu was past the best by date and my gnocchi bake was below par.  I am trying to use what I have so I decided to try a chickpea scramble and it was rather good.

As someone who has only ever had a tiny taste of egg scramble, I never have any aspirations to imitate it, but I do love a good savoury breakfast-for-dinner dish.

This dish was intriguing because it had chickpeas mashed with spices and hummus.  The problem of  using a processed ingredient such as hummus is that not all hummus has the same seasoning.  My scramble was a bit lemony but this might be due to the flavours in my hummus.  Despite this I still enjoyed it.

The scramble was wonderful in a sandwich with onion chutney and baby kale.  It reheated well in the microwave in the evening to be served with more toast and onion chutney and lots of vegies.  This is a great quick and easy meal to make with ingredients that are usually in my kitchen.

More vegan scrambles on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Fried rice with tofu scramble (gf, v)
My breakfast burritos (gf, v)
Roasted vegetable tofu scramble (gf, v)
Spinach, sundried tomato and chive chickpea scramble (gf, v)
Tofu scramble (gf, v)

Chickpea hummus scramble
From Simple Vegan Blog
Serves 2-3

400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 pinch kala namak (black) salt
6 tbsp hummus

To fry:
1 tsp sesame oil

Mash chickpeas.  Mix in remaining ingredients and mash a bit more.  (I used a spoon to crush and stir.)  Mine was very lemony so I would only add 1 tbsp and check before adding the second.  And of course check seasoning.

Heat a frypan on medium heat.  Swirl around sesame oil and then add chickpea mixture.  Cook for about 5-10 minutes, leaving to crisp up in places but should still be quite soft.  Can be kept in an airtight container and reheated.

On the stereo:
Fictions: Jane Birkin

9 comments:

  1. I am forever in your debt for introducing me to chick pea scramble in the first place (a love affair that has continued ever since!) so any new recipe of yours on that theme, I'm going to try it. A couple of bagels and some of this would make just the sort of breakfast weekends were made for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chickpea scramble!? I've never tried it but now I really want to. Thanks for the recipe Johanna :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You introduced me to chickpea scramble and I really like the sound of this variation :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m a big fan of scrambles and of breakfast for dinner meals as well. This variation sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This scramble sounds really delicious and you made it look so bright and colourful on the plate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful plate! That scramble sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I would prefer this chickpea hummus scramble to the vegan produce that I tried a few months back https://followyourheart.com/veganegg/
    It was awfully strange - the texture that I had to throw it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh it can be disappointing when you have such grand kitchen aspirations only to have them dashed by silly things like expiration dates ;)
    Looks like you made a nice meal anyway - sounds delicious and looks so pretty on the plate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never had chickpea scramble, but judging from the comments above, I really need to try it! It looks like lots of people are indebted to you for introducing them! It certainly sounds pretty yummy x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)